UTM parameters are essential for tracking the performance of your Google Ads campaigns. They help you identify the sources of your traffic and understand which campaigns and ads are generating the most clicks and conversions. Bulk-adding UTM parameters to your Google Ads campaigns can be a time-consuming process, but with the right tools and techniques, it can be done quickly and efficiently. Below is the complete detailed guide through which you can bulk-add UTM parameters to your Google Ads campaigns.
First step:: By creating a UTM template
The first step in bulk-adding UTM parameters to your Google Ads campaigns is to create a UTM template. A UTM template is a set of UTM parameters that you can apply to all of your campaigns, ads, and keywords. By using a UTM template, you can ensure that all of your tracking URLs have a consistent structure and that your data is organized and easy to analyze.
To create a UTM template, follow these steps:
- Use Google or Excel Sheets and create a new spreadsheet.
- In the first row, enter the UTM parameters that you want to use, including source, medium, campaign, content, and term.
- In the second row, enter the values that you want to use for each parameter. For example, you might use “google” for the source parameter, “cpc” for the medium parameter, and “spring-sale” for the campaign parameter.
- Save the spreadsheet as a template that you can reuse for future campaigns.
Second Step: By using Google Ads Editor
The Google Ads Editor is used to manage your Google Ads campaigns offline. It’s an excellent tool for bulk editing your campaigns, and it also allows you to add UTM parameters to your ads and keywords quickly.
To use the Google Ads Editor to add UTM parameters to your campaigns, follow these steps:
- You can download and install Google Ads Editor on your computer.
- Open the Google Ads Editor and log in to your Google Ads account.
- Select the campaigns, ads, or keywords that you want to edit.
- Click “Make multiple changes” and select “Add/update multiple items.”
- In the “Add/update multiple items” dialog box, select the “Custom parameters” option.
- In the “Custom parameters” box, enter the UTM parameters that you want to use and the corresponding values. You can also use the UTM template that you created earlier by clicking “Import from file” and selecting your spreadsheet.
- Click “Preview changes” to review your changes.
- Click “Post changes” to apply your changes to your campaigns.
Step 3: Use the Google Ads API
If you’re comfortable using programming languages like Python or Java, you can also use the Google Ads API to add UTM parameters to your campaigns. The Google Ads API is a powerful tool that allows you to automate many aspects of your Google Ads campaigns, including adding UTM parameters.
To use the Google Ads API to add UTM parameters to your campaigns, follow these steps:
- Sign up for a Google Ads API account and create your credentials.
- Install the Google Ads API client library for your programming language of choice.
- Use the client library to authenticate with the Google Ads API and retrieve your campaigns, ads, or keywords.
- Use the client library to add UTM parameters to your campaigns, ads, or keywords, using the UTM template that you created earlier.
- Submit your changes to the Google Ads API to apply them to your campaigns.
Bulk adding UTM parameters to your Google Ads campaigns can be a time-consuming process, but it’s essential for tracking the performance of your ads. By using tools like the Google Ads Editor or the Google Ads API