Building engineering services are the most critical aspect of any structure. A structure that lacks effective design and implementation of building engineering services is analogous to a body that lacks blood circulation. A professional architect must plan, create, and oversee all building engineering services before the start of construction to ensure that no problems arise during or after completion.
What is a building engineering service?
It can be challenging to comprehend building engineering services. Many people are unaware of the distinction between engineering and architecture, as well as the distinction between civil engineering and structural engineering. Construction projects usually employ electrical experts.
Building engineers design, plan, and supervise the structures and infrastructure that comprise a construction site or facility.
An Overview of Building engineering services
Building engineering services are an essential aspect of the construction process. Building services design is concerned with the planning and management of the three types of building services listed below:
- Building Services Design – It includes developing suggestions for new facilities or modifying existing structures (e.g., installing heating or plumbing systems).
- Building Services Engineering – This field of building engineering, sometimes known as “Services,” comprises a wide range of disciplines, including energy efficiency and sustainability. It also includes service inspection/maintenance and repair work performed by contractors on behalf of property owners/managers (e.g., checking that boilers are working correctly).
- Building Services Planning – It entails, among other things, material selection for new construction projects and improving insulation levels during renovation projects.
Building engineering services and sustainability services
The environment has a vital role in building design and construction. The goal of sustainability is to reduce the environmental impact of the structures. It means making them more energy-efficient, resource-efficient, and people-efficient – all of which one should do since it benefits everyone.
A solid sustainability policy can assist you in meeting your legal obligations. And the environmental goals set by organizations such as The Carbon Neutral Company and Zero Waste Scotland. Suppose your company does not currently have a sustainability policy, in that case, it is recommended to create one as soon as possible, so it has something to aspire for in the coming years.
Building engineering services – the process workflow
Your building engineering project process workflow will differ from that of your colleagues. However, it is critical to understand that every project must go through specific phases.
The process workflow of a project is a set of steps that must be completed. Some building engineers consider their recommendations, while others view them as rigorous regulations. The challenge is to know when to diverge from the recommended course to meet your client’s needs or meet deadlines ahead of time!
The process workflow
Some of the steps involved in this procedure are as follows:
- The first stage is for the client to specify the work to do. This will require assessing their wants and expectations for your company’s team to respond well regarding services provided and price estimates. This should cover all requirements, as leaving anything out now could lead to delays later!
Concept, feasibility, brief, and site appraisal
- A feasibility analysis investigates the viability of a proposed project.
- A brief is a written document that specifies the project’s requirements and constraints.
- A site appraisal assesses a site’s suitability for a specific building. The experts are considering factors such as flood risk, land contamination, noise pollution, access to services, and right-of-way availability—for instance, zoning regulations.
- Concepts are broad ideas that cannot be transformed into reality without further refinement or development.
The architectural/engineering design process is the first project stage in which the structure is designed. This includes the following:
- Design of construction services (water supply and drainage, electricity and lighting)
- Creating the framework (columns, beams, and foundations)
Building engineering services can help you save time, money, and resources. They ensure that all your duties are successfully performed, so you don’t have to worry about project delays or expense overruns.